The Certificate of Excellence award honors hospitality excellence. The accolade is given only to
establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveller reviews on TripAdvisor, and is extended
to qualifying businesses worldwide. Approximately 10 percent of accommodations listed on TripAdvisor
receive this prestigious award (source TripAdvisor)
- Thank you for looking at our web site of our home here in the beautiful surroundings of Port Launay, near Chateaulin, Finistere, Brittany. Rhiannon who looks after all our guests, and the house, lives-in and keeps our bed & breakfast open all year round.
Built over 300 years ago "The Old Salt House" in Port Launay in the region of Finistère, Brittany is nestled on the banks of the river L'Aulne with outstanding and uninterrupted views over the countryside.
The Nantes-Brest Canal runs in front of our property, providing opportunities for cycling, walking, fishing and sailing. Port Launay has a bakery, bar and lunch time restaurant. Others are situated very close (2km) in the picturesque town of Châteaulin. Port Launay is in the National Parc Armorique and close to the many beautiful beaches in the bay of Douarnenez.
Sympathetically restored by British craftspeople The Old Salt House oozes charm and character and has so many nooks and crannies that every day gives a new insight into the beauty of the house.
The beautiful guest rooms are cleaned daily to a very high standard and you can have peace of mind that bedding is changed after each and every guest. Something we know that not all french B&B's offer!
The house also has style and grace that flows from the front door to the top of the house. It is like an adventure walking around and it makes you smile each time you enter a room.
To wake up in the morning looking straight out to the waters that glisten and shadow the surrounding houses is like waking up in a fairytale story. Sometimes you just do not want to get out of bed!!...
Having the Boulangerie next door is lethal for us and all that come to stay but its like a magnet drawing you in with the beautiful cakes and pastries and homemade breads...there is one strict rule in our home and that is "NO DIETING" !
The local supermarkets are well stocked with fresh produce and the fish is caught locally and the meats are so fresh that you are spoilt for choice but one thing we do miss is Bovril and Cadbury's chocolate!!!.......as much as we love France and the people and its surroundings I'm afraid some things we now buy in the case load and bring it back from the UK!!
So what are you waiting for??.......come and join us for the most magical experience of your life whether its just for a weekend break or Honeymoon or Property searches or even a treat for a family member then we can assure you of a truely warm welcome that you just will not want to leave!!
The Old Salt House is inspected on a yearly basis under the Clévacances Quality Charter which is regulated under french law and guarantees quality, facilities and security of accomodation. They rate accomodation between 1 and 4 keys. We are very proud to have the 3 keys rating, which is only awarded to Bed and Breakfast properties of a 'superior' standard.
Reflected in this rating is the high quality of products and services available free for all guests, to make their stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible, these include:
- Free WIFI
- Open all year
- Discounted fares with Brittany Ferries
- Local freshly sourced products for breakfast, with a wide range of choice
- Fairtrade products in each room, such as tea, coffee, hot chocolate
- High quality toiletries, such as shampoos, shower gels, hand soaps and moisterisers
- Hairdryers in every bathroom, ironing facilities available for all guests
- Complimentary drinks fridge with choice of wine, beer, soft drinks and water
- Flat screen 22" LED televisions
- DVD players in everyroom, wide selection of DVD's
- iPOD docking entertainment stations with radio and clock
- Extensive tourist information
- A wide choice of magazines and books to while away the hours relaxing
- Ample parking space for cars immediately outside the house
Evening meals are also available at the Old Salt House - please see our hospitaility page, or contact us for more information